We’re moving through week three of working with Marc Abuan and Ces and here’s what we’ve been up to:
1. We’ve been playing our own version of the collaborative art game Exquisite Corpse. The original version works like this: three artists take turns drawing on sheet of paper. One draws a head, a second artist continues and draws the body and a third one draws the legs.
For our own exercise each artist is given one canvas. The first artist draw’s a portrait and passes it on the next who in selects a palette and renders the image in a medium that he or she prefers. The third artist then gets the painting and draws some ornaments around the face.
2. Marc has been working on some marks. The dude is young but he has a good eye for making logos. He’s also been drawing a lot of birds and bees as he’s been working with us on an animated infographic about Cervical Cancer 🙂
3. We did a mini-workshop on editorial illustration. Just sharing the work process and some questions we ask ourselves when we are trying to come up with a fitting image for an article.
4. Painting has been a staple exercise, something we have been doing at every chance we get. Here’s a detail photo of Ces’ first oil painting 🙂
5. We got to visit the studio of awesome artists Uzi and Meream- talked about art, craft, workshops and video games.
6. We’ve been handpicking some books for them to read. Like the book Look Both Ways: Illustrated Essays on the Intersection of Life and Design by Debbie Millman which I suggest everyone, regardless of profession, should read. It is wonderful.
7. We invited one of our fave artists Sam Pipebomb to do an inking demo in the studio.
This inspired a slew of ink-made artwork.
For his kindness we offered Sam a siopao.
8. Speaking of food, we’ve been eating a lot. 😀
Link: Day One of the Internship Program